Thank you for taking the time to write a reference for a potential new member! We are blessed with alumnae who wish to be involved in the recruitment process. It ensures the Tri Delta legacy continues as more wonderful young women join our sisterhood. Since new alumnae are writing references each year and the process and vernacular change year to year (“rush” is now “recruitment” and a “rushee” is now a “potential new member”), please take the time to read the following pointers. They are designed to save you and the reference committee time, ensure the committee receives a complete packet by the May 1 deadline, and give your potential new member the best chance to be a Tri Delta.
- Membership: It is strongly advised that references be submitted by Dallas Alumnae Chapter dues paying members. Tri Delta is for a lifetime and you want that sisterhood for your potential new member. Being a member of the Dallas Alumnae Chapter reflects your commitment to that sisterhood. Additionally, the presence of a strong alumnae chapter aids us in recruitment. Please click here to join the Dallas Alumnae Chapter.
- Register with Dallas Panhellenic: Potential new members should register with the Dallas Alumnae Panhellenic Association. The Dallas Alumnae Panhellenic Association hosts an annual Recruitment Forum each spring for high school seniors interested in joining a sorority. They provide a booklet with valuable information about the recruitment process, including what each sorority requires for their reference packets. Their list of registered high school seniors is available to all reference chairmen so it is in the potential new member’s best interest to have her name on that list. See http://www.dallaspanhellenic.org/. It is also extremely important for your potential new member to register with Panhellenic at the university she plans to attend. This information can be found on the university’s website.
- Follow the Reference Writer’s Instructions and provide a complete Reference Packet: Inform the potential new member regarding everything Tri Delta needs for a completed reference packet including the exact number of copies. Our Reference Writer’s Instructions give a detailed list of Tri Delta’s requirements. Ideally the potential new member provides all of the copies of the resume, pictures, transcript and test scores.
- Confidentiality: Be assured that all information is kept confidential.
- Please do not send the reference directly to the collegiate chapter: It is extremely important to have and maintain an accurate database of our valued new members and legacies and that is not possible if the reference bypasses our Dallas Reference Committee. After recruitment is over, we compile a list of our Dallas Tri Delta new members. Their mothers are invited to participate in our wonderful Dallas Area Tri Delta Mothers’ Club. Additionally, the new member’s sisters become legacies. Our alumnae chapter hosts several legacy events, including an annual Christmas Cheer party, which includes new members, their mothers and high school aged legacies. Those legacy sisters are also invited to the annual Legacy Luncheon or Tea once they are juniors and seniors in high school. Their legacy status becomes important if they choose to go through recruitment. Please help us maintain accurate records and forward your reference to the Dallas Reference Board.
- Abide by the MAY 1 DEADLINE: The completed reference packet is due to the Dallas Alumnae Reference Chairman by May 1. Please adhere to this deadline as your potential new member will have better exposure when her reference packet is submitted on time. If a college decision is not finalized by May 1, you still need to get the reference packet to the Reference Chairman by the May 1 deadline. Once a school is decided on, the packet will be sent to the appropriate university. Writing a reference is a great way to ensure that the ranks of Tri Delta will keep growing! We appreciate your careful consideration and attention to the instructions.
Kristie Sanford Staffieri
Dallas Area Reference Chairman